Thursday, June 26, 2008

Apricot ripens, NO just is and Warsow wants $

Winning a game of NO


NO is a fun little puzzle game [video]. It is built on top of LÖVE, which is fairly easy to have for Win and Lin users. Mac builders wanted!



I found a list of open source games for the Mobile Edition of Java. About 25 puzzle/arcade titles, mostly GPL'ed.



The Apricot project is ripening with great speed! Further additions to blender have been made and videos of a playable prototype recorded and uploaded. The plan to unleash "real Open Source power" by opening Apricot's code repository has unfortunately not been fulfilled yet.



The opinion exists, that a game will be less fun for people who were able to play a development version of it. I don't think this problem is a big one and believe that simply because of the necessity for compiling, most people will wait for an official release.



An example of a story-based single-player game with an open Subversion repository is Rastullahs Lockenpracht, a TDE-based 3D RPG. I haven't tried it so far because the last time it caught my attention, compiling code was a large burden for me. Now I won't try it as it appears to be depending on non-free Nvidia and Fmod libraries.





It seems that the Apricot team has the same problems that I have when recording with recordMyDesktop: The recorded field doesn't fit the selected window, which results in capturing of unwanted space above and below the targeted window.



Warsow's developers started accepting donations. They want to use it for making participation in an own LAN party cheaper. I'm becoming more and more uncertain about the ultimate goal of the project. Is it profit? A fun game? An elitist community? Being popular? PS: What I'm talking about here is the "ultimate master plan" - which I'm certain every open source project secretly has. ;)

10 comments:

Unknown said...

I think instead of "ripes" and "riping" you mean "ripens" and "ripening"

qubodup said...

Indeed! Thanks!

Anonymous said...

I just spoke with a member of the warsow dev team, he assured me that *none* of the money from donations goes to any member of the dev team, though goodness knows they need new computers. The money is supposed to go to organizing LAN's and tournaments, and generally fostering the community.

Anonymous said...

What's wrong with making money?

qubodup said...

nobody said it's wrong, kiba :)

Anonymous said...

If you are capturing OpenGL apps you might want to try glc or yukon which both are optimized for games (like fraps on windows).

qubodup said...

pyry: thanks! I wanted to take a look at glc a long time ago (twice, actually) but forgot. and forgot again.

gtk-recordMyDesktop supports OpenGL recording (full frames) and I think it also supports alsa recording. I must be having problems with my sound configs.

Anonymous said...

Master plan: that's easy Pinky, to take over the world.

Anonymous said...

"NO" looks like a standard Japanese puzzle that has been out for ages. "NO" innovation there.

qubodup said...

NO body said there would be innovation. XD

You're right too, the puzzle type was new for me though.

Provide feedback:

Due to SPAM issues we have disabled public commenting here.

But feel free to join our forums or easily chat via IRC with us.