Thursday, March 19, 2009

Foooooooooooooo Egoboo

Update: brain malfunction. I first posted 2.7.0, then 2.7.7b, but the correct _stable_ version of Egoboo is 2.7.0b and the development version is 2.7.7, got it? =/ Thanks for the pointer, maststef



A new stable Egoboo 2.7.0 2.7.7b 2.7.0 wraps up several months of development and bug fixing. This project has really come back to life over the course of 2008. It is very well tested with a lengthy changelog. If I had make a criticism, it would be that Egoboo really looks dated these days and perhaps they could renew focus on nicer textures and more detailed models - perhaps aspiring to be a bit closer to SoulFu in quality - but graphics do not a good game make. It's great to see the project successfully revived from a lifeless piece of bitrot that it had become a few years go.



Now it's a pretty smooth looking experience. Check out this (slightly rambly) video review:





Unknown Horizons 2009.1 was released several days ago. It now resembles a game, you can build a city, although it's still a few features short of being fun. They are changing their release policy to monthly updates / snapshots with stable releases less often (i.e. when they are ready) instead of a stable release every 6 months. Sounds like a wise plan to me.



Battery is a browser based 2D top scrolling game written in Java. The player controls an airplane in a top-down view and shoots down enemies. The game is free and freely distributable. The game can be played inside the browser window, if you have Java.



The Legend of Mazzeroth aims to be a new 2D MMORPG, I think in the style of The Mana World or Stendhal. In fact, I thought it was a fork or inspired by one of those two, but I can't easily find the reference nor do I have the time to search for it. Update: it was originally a fork of The Mana World but now is written from scratch although probably uses TMW graphics. Thanks for finding that out Crush.



Extreme Tux Racer 0.5 beta is supposed to be pretty nice and a big improvement over the 0.4 release.



Dammit I had at least two more project updates but I forgot them. Perhaps Freedroid RPG 0.12? Maybe. What about Vacuum Magic 0.10? Possibly. Who can remember... oh, check out this musicy web thingy. Your browser is the next Flash platform, it seems.

8 comments:

Crush said...

As far as I remember Legend of Mazzeroth used to be a fork of The Mana World, but they decided to create their own engine from scratch at some point.

Anonymous said...

Egoboo has also a dev2.7.7 in their forums, but it is dated on early 2008. How does this work when now comes the stable 2.7.0 one year later?

Anonymous said...

Oh, and I forgot: Vacuum Magic uses highly copyrighted graphics, for example from the MMORPG "MapleStory".
Is this OK for Free Gamer?

Charlie said...

On Egoboo: that was my bad. The original post said 2.7.0 but I had a brain blackout when I posted. I fixed it fairly promptly though (within 5 minutes?) so I'm surprised you got to see the incorrect version number. The correct version number is (as it currently says in the post) 2.7.7b.

On Vacuum Magic: Using copyrighted graphics is not condoned by us (Q, me) and not really OK for Free Gamer, so I should probably not mention it so much.

Anonymous said...

Thanks for your reply. But Egoboo actually IS 2.7.0b (two seven ZERO b)

The 2.7.7 is an old dev/beta/trunk/whatever version (and it's outdated compared to the stable 2.7.0b).

The 2.7.7 is from the 5th of May 2008 (eight!), but the 2.7.0b is from the 15th of March 2009 (nine!).

But I was confused first, too. Actually I'm still confused, because it doesn't make really sense to release a dev2.7.7 and after it is finished and has even more features than the dev, rename it to 2.7.0.

Charlie said...

Thanks for the correction. Noted in the post.

Anonymous said...

Highfirex here... First thing I notice on one of my favourite sites is my youtube video being shown. Thanks!

Unknown said...

LoM technically started as a fork but we had our reasons for developing our own software. We also decided to take a different direction with the direction of our artwork. We'll instead be using 3D models to generate sprites for an isometric type engine giving us a look similar to other iso classics like Fallout and Diablo.

Provide feedback:

Due to SPAM issues we have disabled public commenting here.

But feel free to join our forums or easily chat via IRC with us.