Sunday, November 04, 2007

To do - do the to do

I have a few things to do - notably:



  • Integerate the planet feed

  • Integrate the announcements feed

  • Integrate the forum feed

  • Organise another interview or two

  • Finish my half finished articles that are steadily building as a backlog of drafts


We have all this shiney new infrastructure after some brilliant work by notably Ghoulsblade and Hagish, and I'm dragging my toes including it. Sorry guys!



The planet and the announcements really could get included in any site which would really help to push Free Game development to another level in terms of being accessible and reaching it's audience with minimum effort.



On the Free game side of things, my multiple commitments (notably work and Fortress which I'm trying to get the codebase moving properly) mean I'm not really following the open source game scene as closely as I used to.




Silver Tree


The open source RPG scene is looking quite healthy at the moment. Silver Tree is shaping up well and seems to be shifting away from it's graphical ties with Wesnoth.



There's an update on the Hero of Allacrost website. There's good progress so it looks like they'll have another release before Christmas of this Final Fantasy style game. They also want to make a change to the current battle system because the current one is too demanding on the artists.



Also the Galaxy Mage Redux project is gaining a bit of momentum.



Damn, got to go, will try and be more elaborate tomorrow!

8 comments:

FuzzyDogSlayer said...

Great website, I discovered it through Google today, and discovered a world of new games thanks to your site. Keep up the good work.

Anonymous said...

You really should get someone to help you. Recently this blog has dropped tremendously in quality. Stories of dog gases and various excuses don't make up for the decrease in game-related content. This is all understandable and an example of what happens to many web sites, but it doesn't bode well for freegamer.

Charlie said...

There are a few things I can say to that. Sorry if this seems OTT but there's a few dissenters lately.

To start with, I found the dog gasses thing funny. I'm 28 and I guess I still haven't grown out of slight toilet humour but [at the time] I didn't realise the readership was so "mature". It kinda annoys me to hear these kind of complaints on a _game_ website. When did people become so god damn stuck up? This isn't the first complaint about that particular issue, and to be honest I put a lot of time and effort into the site and if you don't like my sense of humour then go do your own site or find one that caters to your taste, but keep quiet because I'm not being paid and I'm attempting to _help_ open source games, not provide good content for over-critical readers.

Of course the quality has declined lately. I have, many times, stated how busy I am at the moment. It has taken a lot of research and monitoring over the last year to create the blog, and I don't have time to do that right now. I could easily have not posted anything at all because I frankly don't have time, but I feel that if I stop then the whole reason I created the site could disappear and it's a shame when things like the forums and the planet have just started gaining momentum.

So I'll keep doing what I'm doing and post about things that interest me, and if that doesn't interest you or others, then tough. The 'net is a big place, find some other places to read!

Posting every day or even a few times a week takes more time than you realise and even sites that automate their content (happypenguin?) struggle at times.

Anonymous said...

Please publish more frequently and don't keep writing about what your going to do or need to do but you haven't enough time. Nobody wants to read that stuff. There's loads of interesting things to write about and if you can't manage it yourself you should employ some more writers.

No offense intended, it's just that it's getting stale visiting your site when it should be expanding. You've got the attention of many people and you should do something with it.

Ciao.

Jonas said...

Charlie, it's your blog, don't give in! If you don't give it your personality, who will? People think you're something of an official representative, but you aren't. They're really just reading your personal blog, which happens to be centered around free software.

If, on the other hand, you'd like Free Gamer to transcend its blog status, I'd recommend merging it with the planet and developing towards a multi-participant blog. I really like your site.

-- Jonas, developer of Thunder&Lightning

Anonymous said...

There is nothing revolutionary about a "blog". It is simply somebody who wants to write about something they are passionate about on their website; they don't need Blogger to achieve this. Millions of people were doing this before it was labeled a "blog".

You could do something with the audience figures, or you could waste it.

Anonymous said...

Yeah, what jonas said. It's your blog, write what you want.

And I would not be surprised if the anonymous who griped about the dog fart jokes is the same guy who complained previously. Me, I chuckled. I have a dog, too, so I've been there.

rogerdv said...

This is a blog, not a democracy. If somebody doesnt likes a post, can find another blog o make his own.

Provide feedback:

Due to SPAM issues we have disabled public commenting here.

But feel free to join our forums or easily chat via IRC with us.