Wednesday, August 29, 2007

Oh no more updates

The latest Sauerbraten release is now available from getdeb, and since I have a new spiffy laptop I thought I'd give it a try. The RPG levels are pretty awesome to look at - now maybe I'm not quite up to date on the latest commercial offerings but compared to recent popular commercial games like Enemy Territory and Half Life 2, a well designed Sauerbraten level looks very nice indeed. The grass and water shaders look lucious.




Freeciv 2.1beta6 SDL


I wanted to take screenshots of Sauer but it seems to have a few problems - occasional hangs, dumping me back into low-res X - and I'm too busy to resolve them. So somebody asked for a few Freeciv SDL screenshots, which I oblige.



Irrlamb 0.0.5 is out, introducing springs and other new features. The Linux binary won't work out-of-the-box on Ubuntu Gutsy :-( so I haven't tried it, but it seems to be shaping up nicely. Window and Ubuntu Feisty binaries are provided.



There's also a new Thunder 'n' Lightning release. This action / flight combat project is becoming a much more playable game; performance enhancements, more graphical effects, and more deadly enemies. It is available as an autopackage - so should be easy to install for Linux users, and there's a Windows binary too. I'm a big advocate of using autopackage for games because it makes it easier for people to play your FOSS game.



I'm not posting videos on Free Gamer at the moment because, well, they don't work with Gnash and I'm not too fussed about setting up the proprietry Flash package. Gnash does claim to be compatable enough to play YouTube videos but sadly not on my machine.



There's also more talk going on relating to a consolidated Free game art effort in the comments of previous posts - at some point I'll be less lazy and summarize it all. One of the guys is designing a website for it and it will be the first official www.freegamedev.net project.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

do you mean Irrlamp instead of Irrland ?

Charlie said...

Oh dear, I should proof read more. I didn't even link it before either. Shocking!

Unknown said...

I'm hoping someday (sooner rather than later) gnash will be a realistic alternative to play flash with. Both times I've experimented with it it's been basically worthless :(

Unknown said...

Why not use stage6.com to upload video's?

They are higher quality (divx) and work out of the box with Totem browser's plugin.

It does require gstreamer0.10-plugins-bad to be installed, which is somewhat dubious because of theoretical patents. But those codecs are opensource, stable and high-quality.

gstreamer0.10-ffmpeg would suffice btw.

Irrevenant said...

You mispelt 'irrlamb' again, both in the article and in the links. :P

Irrevenant said...

No you didn't - Ghoulsblade did.

Quell embarrassment!

Anonymous said...

whops, sorry.

Provide feedback:

Due to SPAM issues we have disabled public commenting here.

But feel free to join our forums or easily chat via IRC with us.