In a pretty surprising move the source-code of the idTech3 based games Jedi Knight 2: Jedi Outcast and Jedi Academy were released under the GPL by Activision and Raven Software. You can find the original source drops here and here.
The content is obviously still propitiatory (e.g. you need to buy it), but some people have already plans to upgrade the source as OpenJK (most likely back-ports from ioQuake3) and make a Linux version most likely.
Would be also cool if a nice stand-alone FOSS 3rd person sword-fighting game would come out of this... but the detailed player animations will likely be the biggest road-block.
Ahh well... and since I hate posting something with no pictures or videos I include the pretty nice new Flare 0.18 release:
It includes some pretty nice new features too:
That's all for now :)
- 10 Equipment Slots, up from 4 (and easily configurable)
- Starting "Class" choice (beginner's power/item kit)
- Environmental/Ambient Sounds on maps
- Much improved handling of Animations, Effects, and Sounds
- New Powers: Stealth, Traps, Thrown Weapons
- New Item Bonuses: XP gain, Gold Find, Item Find, and more
- Improved support for various input devices
- Two new starting quests