Thursday, July 24, 2008

TORCS = fun, Dungeon Hack = beauty

TORCS 1.3.1



It has been a while since the last time I gave The Open Racing Car Simulator a try and this time I had unexpectedly much fun with it. Though some things are strange about it: the game generally runs smoothly, except for some rare, sporadic lags which make controls problematic for a second. There are great textures in the game but some of them are just bad (probably heritage from darker times.) I like the track's layouts but I wish there was an environment artist who would spice up TORCS' landscapes. Still, I think it's great.



There is a lack of a damage model, but it's still fun to practice an aggressive driving style sometimes. :) Oh yeah, I nearly forgot to tell you that I made a stupid little gameplay video.



I tried to compile the racing simulation from CVS and failed, but fortunately it is available in binary forms for Win/Lin/Mac and is easy to install.



One unusual aspect of the game's installer is that you can to choose to not install the unfree car models (although I don't know for sure how free the TORCS team's definition of free media is.)



Dungeon Hack landscape


Dungeon Hack, a spiritual remake of Daggerfall, will be blessed with an editor some time soon. Hopefully they will make the jump from awesome landscape generator to kick-butt role-playing game!



I also hope there will be a GNU/Linux version available soon. The only other application of which I'm eagerly waiting for a GNU/Linux port is FxGen.



Other than that, there's not much to say about Dungeon Hack. The current aim is programming and not already bother with gameplay/visual details. I think this is a good sign: they're not trying to rush things or to do everything at the same time.



You can get version Alpha build 23 of Digital Paint Paintball 2. The game is one of those, which I never figured out how to play. Problem was with the last version I tried, that I was unable to disable the too-much-for-my-gfxcard-water/reflection-effects.



FreedroidRPG 0.11rc1 town's new look


FreedroidRPG 0.11rc1 has lots of new features:

  • Level changes and additions
  • Weapon additions and balancing
  • Programs (spells) balancing and a new skill
  • New music!
  • Engine improvements (for example performance)
  • Editor improvements (for example undo/redo functions)

I need to find some time for checking out that editor thingey!





CatchemRPG detail

CatchemRPG is supposed to become a Pokemon games-like game.

Can't say I'm very interested, but the sprites do like rather nice (wonder where they are from. RPGMaker XP?) Also it's written in Java, so you don't loose much time giving it a shot.



PS: Apricot aka Yo Frankie! (sight) would very much like you to animate a character for them.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Dungeon Hack? It seems that name is already taken

Anonymous said...

Yeah, the name may get changed to Dragonfell.

redpetre said...

Problem was with the last version I tried, that I was unable to disable the too-much-for-my-gfxcard-water/reflection-effects

Anonymous said...

...you should also check out http://www.quelsolaar.com/love/index.html

sounds really interesting and alternative...

Anonymous said...

For Torcs 1.3.1 a lot of sweetness is in work, more cool backgrounds, refreshed and new tracks and new textures will come :)

gigitrix said...

I work on catchemrpg: the graphics are all original and not from a toolkit!

Thanks for the review: we only started about a month ago in hobby time!

Provide feedback:

Due to SPAM issues we have disabled public commenting here.

But feel free to join our forums or easily chat via IRC with us.