Thursday, November 30, 2006

Railroad Tycoon now Freeware

The original Railroad Tycoon has been released as freeware. Download it from 2kgames.com who seem to be the official handlers of the freeware RT.



JFreeRails


Still, freeware is not open source. There are GPL clones of RT. The two most notable ones are Railz and JFreeRails. Indeed JFreeRails got updated as recently as September this year. Railz seems to have stalled with it's development.



Then there is of course the other rail game implementations, notably OpenTTD. There are lots of promising noises coming out of the OpenTTD camp and the hires graphics seem to be coming out of the community at a steady pace. I'm very hopeful that we will see a hires release in 2007 that should be a superb game and herald a new era for OpenTTD.



A game that already has hires graphics and is free, albeit only freeware, is Simutrans. The development is relentless and the latest release looks very nice. For some reason I have never found Simutrans as much fun as OpenTTD but then I grew up with the original Transport Tycoon.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Just wanted to say it's great to see this getting updated again. I missed being able to see the latest FLOSS gaming news.

Unknown said...

Aye, I agree.
and secondly same here never have been able to get myself to like Simutrans (I also grew up with Transport Tycoon)

Charlie said...

You guys... you make me blush! I do need to pay more attention to this site. I am just going to update it more quickly rather try to keep putting together massive updates [which take a while to research and write].

Steve said...

Sorry to suggest more work for you, but how about you divide up your game lists by category, like FPS, strategy etc..?

Paweł "Yosh" Różański said...

I grew up on original RailRoad Tycoon - never liked the 'deluxe' version.

Something like open source 3d top-view (maybe like old GTA) railroad classic would be overkill for me :):) but it's just me

Provide feedback:

Due to SPAM issues we have disabled public commenting here.

But feel free to join our forums or easily chat via IRC with us.